Paramore - Now

I was one of those people who went through a "Paramore" phase. I was about 15, and I absolutely loved them. It was brilliant to see a female leading a band, and one with so much confidence as well.

So as you can imagine, when I found out that Zac and Josh Farro were leaving I was absolutely distraught. And even more so when I read THAT blog post by the brothers [http://joshnfarro.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/josh-and-zacs-exit-statement.html] which kind of revealed the back story of how the band began, and showed Hayley to be... Well let's just say I was pretty disappointed.

So this time round, with just Hayley, Jeremy and Taylor, I'm feeling a little bit disheartened. But I will try not to let my feelings of them as people cloud my judgement of their new stuff.

I needn't have worried really, as their new music is quite consistent with their old stuff.

The first bit is really weird, as Hayley is almost rapping "Don't try to take this from me, don't try to take this from me now". Think The Ting Tings. The word "now" is sang with a little motif that recurrs through the song. This plays through twice.

The lyrics are quite clearly about the two band members that they have lost:

"Feels like I'm waken from the dead
And everyone's been waitin' on me
'Least now I'll never have to wonder
What it's like to sleep a year away
But were we indestructible
I thought that we could brave it all
I never thought that what would take me out
Was hiding down below"


Sounds as though there's still a lot of animosity between them, especially in the bridge:

"Lost the battle, win the war
I'm bringing my sinking ship back to the shore
We're starting over, or head back in
There's a time and a place to die but this ain't it"


Basically saying that they're not done yet.

In past Paramore songs, it kind of felt as though the songs were mainly focussed on Hayley's vocals and the other guys were just there for the backing, but on this song it sounds a bit more equal between them. The guitar work is really good as well.

The chorus I was personally really disappointed by, it had so much potential! It's literally just:

"If there's a future, we want it
Now-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow
If there's a future, we want it
Now-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow
If there's a future, we want it
Now-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow
If there's a future, we want it
Now-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow"

It hasn't even got a really great tune to it that hooks you in. Muh!

It then has the bit from the beginning again, but this time on the last one everything drops, and it's just the vocals and the drums emphasising the rhythm of each "now-ow-ow-ow".

Courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/51560935@N04/7858027906/in/photostream/
The next verse also seems like a bit of a dig at the Farros:

"Wish I could find a crystal ball
For the days I feel completely worthless
You know I'd use it all for good
I would not take it for granted (granted)
Instead, I'd have some memories
For the days I don't feel anything
At least, they would remind me
Not to make the same mistakes again"

I could have got this completely wrong, but who knows...

The bridge just before the last chorus really feels like they're gearing up to something, they really go for it! But then it's just back to the disappointing chorus, so it's let down a bit.

I'm intrigued to know if any other Paramore fans feel the same as me. Or even if you're not a Paramore fan. Or you were one. Let me know what you think :)

Youtube:

Spotify:
                                          

Comments

  1. Couldn't agree more about the boring chorus, they can do much better than that!! The song sounds like good ol' Paramore, but its just not quite there, hope they realise this and step it up a notch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agree! Happy I'm not the only one who thinks so, ha! :) They've released another song which is on the web, it's very different, more pop than the "Paramore sound" that we're used to. Not too sure how I feel about it to be honest :/

      Delete

Post a Comment