Lucy Rose - Shiver - Like I Used To

It's been a while since I found a song that I literally wanted to listen to on repeat. All day. For a week. But here it is!

Lucy Rose Parton lives somewhere in Warwickshire, and is the youngest of various musically talented sisters. She's featured in a lot of other people's songs, for example she sang on both of Bombay Bicycle Club's albums, "Flaws" and "A Different Kind Of Fix". She also did a lot of UK festivals last year and this year, and is touring Europe and the US. She's doing pretty well I'd say! This song is from the album "Like I Used To", which was released September 2012.




Courtesy of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24365773@N03/7367866024/

This song starts off with a simple guitar chord pattern. The chords really complement each other beautifully, quite moving. Lucy Rose's vocals come in after a few bars of the guitar. Her vocals are completely pitch perfect, and it sounds as though there's no effort needed. It's utterly natural and simple, no playing around with trills or anything like that. The lyrics really mean something as well:

"We broke
Everything that was right
We both enjoyed a good fight

And we solved
All the holes we had to breathe
To make the other one leave"


The music really reflects the lyrics. It's kind of wistful, longing. Is she talking a past love that she misses?

"And I loved the way you looked at me
And I miss the way you made me feel
When we were alone
When we were alone"

A piano comes in at the chorus. It brings now a really rich texture, emphasising the beauty and grace of the chords even more.

"And I'll shiver like I used to
And I'll leave him just for you
And I'll shiver like I used to
Just for you"

Simple but effective, as they say. There's a big similarity to Damien Rice here, massive comparison. Especially in "Delicate".

With the next verse comes bass, which again just adds further depth, and a beautiful rich sound. It's like chocolate cake for your ears.

"And we stole
Every moment we had to make the other one feel bad
And we hoped that we could be what we knew
We'd never turn out to be real"

Following this was the bridge, and then another chorus, this time with electric guitar and some kind of light drumming, I'm thinking maybe a snare drum. The electric guitar adds again to the wistful element to this song. There's then a middle 8:

"And if we turn back time
Could we learn to live right
And if we turn back time
Could we learn to live right
And if we turn back time
Could we learn to live right
And if we turn back time
Could we learn"

In this part, there's a few other voices singing with Lucy Rose, including a male voice. They all sing in unison, and it makes me think that they're singing to each other, hoping to reunite but maybe both knowing that it's not a good idea, seeing as it didn't work the last time.

In the last chorus, all of the elements from before (acoustic guitar, piano, bass, electric guitar, drums) are playing, and Lucy Rose sings a harmony over the top of the other voices who are singing the main line. It's perfect.

I look forward to hearing more from her. It's really beautiful songwriting. She's gonna be big.

Do you agree?

Youtube:

Spotify:

Comments