A Crazy Musical Fortnight - Part 4 - My Weekend at Manchester's Parklife Weekender

This was only the second music festival I've ever been to. I know, shocking. Parklife takes place in Manchester once a year, normally within the first fortnight of June and this year was situated at Heaton Park. After being thoroughly let down by Beach Break (they moved to Newquay and had a terrible line up), we started looking around for others we could go to. After seeing Chase & Status at the Victoria Warehouse in Manchester, it only seemed right that we should go to the Warehouse Project's own music festival.

Taken at the end of Saturday

Saturday's timings



The weather was ridiculously good. Hardly any clouds whatsoever, and flippin boiling. Which was good in some cases, but we had expected rain and wind and dressed accordingly. Getting into the park was badly organised as they didn't have very many of the silver barriers, but never mind. The first thing I saw was the latter half of Delphic's set:


I'm a big fan of these guys so was slightly gutted we couldn't see the whole set. After Delphic were The Temper Trap who blew me away! They were SO GOOD. I was a big fan of their debut album "Conditions", but didn't really hear that much of the self-titled follow up. The set was brilliant.





I also took a video that heavily features mis amigos:


After that we went on a wander and saw various people that I can't really remember the names of, not stopping long in each. Then we went back to the 10 Years Of Metropoolis stage for Friction and then Sub Focus, who was the highlight of the whole weekend. He was just so so good!


On Sunday we got there pretty late which was a bit annoying, since a lot of what we wanted to see had been before then. But ah well. When we got there we had been aiming to see someone else, but got caught by Iggy Azalea who was brilliant. Her bum is HUGE. I also really like her hair. And she's a good performer too:


We then saw Danny Brown who was pretty good but his songs were quite samey after a while. Hudson Mohawke then came on, and since he's half of TNGHT, I was hoping he would play some stuff like that. But he didn't. The next performer we saw was David Rodigan MBE. Having not heard anything about him except told that he is reggae, I was intrigued but not overly excited. Well how WRONG I WAS. He was incredible! Considering he's 62, he's doing rather well for himself. Although not a massive reggae listener, I enjoyed the whole set. He also played some trap and other genres, but tied them in well to the rest of his set.

This video was taken by my good friend Mr. James Harris:
 

After Rodders was Eats Everything back to back with Justin Martin. I wanted to see Everything Everything who were on at the same time, but I just love his track "Ruff Stuff" and his version of "Trap Shit":


So I was willing to go for it, seeing as Julio Bashmore was in the same tent just after them. It was a shame though, coz I was thoroughly bored right the way through! Which meant I was tired and achey by the time Julio came on. It all got too much after about half an hour, it was SO HOT and pushy that I had to get out! But I heard "Au Seve" from the outside so I didn't miss out on that at least! I then went and sat by the big wheel and watched the Example's set, who was very good:


So I missed out on quite a few people that I wanted to see, but still had a fantastic time. It's given me a flavour of what to expect next year and to prepare myself for that! :)

Comments