The Maccabees - Pelican - Given To The Wild

As you will know if you read this blog (or as you can guess from previous posts if you don't), I went to Beach Break Live this year and absolutely loved it. If you have read it, you'll see that I mention The Maccabees briefly; my opinion was rather on the fence to be honest. I didn't massively care for their performance but nor did I loathe it.

So anyway, I'm a fan of their songs "Feel To Follow" and "Went Away". Take a listen, I've put the Youtube links in with the titles just there. They're really good songs for chillin', which, if you've read my blog before, you'll know I enjoy doing a lot. This song, "Pelican", is a little bit different.


It starts off with this really excitable guitar rhythm, all on the same note (A). A drum beat and guitar chords accompany this on certain beats, just to emphasise and give it a bit more oomph. The singer, Orlando Weeks, then pops up in a harmony of thirds. Harmonies always make everything more exciting.

Courtesy of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/krudo/8100567254/in/photostream/

It's all in a major key, as I've previously pointed out the major key of A. The fact that this song is in a major key the whole way through just makes it really energising I reckon. After the first verse, the drums play a bigger part, have a bit more to do. After the second verse the song slips straight into what I guess is the chorus. It doesn't really feel like a chorus, due to the fact that usually in songs the chorus is a bit more lively than the verses. (I'm generalising, obviously I know that not all songs do this. But you get what I mean.)

After the chorus, the bass has a bit more to do, and gives us this really catchy riff that adds that little bit more texture to the song. We're then back to the chorus, but instead of being stripped down as it was before, it's played in the same upbeat, energised style which really works; it's so catchy.

We're then basically back to the beginning, as they play it again in the same simplistic way as before for two bars, then the bass with the awesome riff joins in and we're back to the upbeat style. Everyone's back in for the chorus until the end, which seems to go on for a while actually. There's no real definitive ending, it just kind of fades out.

I realise that I haven't really written that much for this song, but it feels as though it's over pretty quick. If you've got anything to add, please please comment and let me know what you reckon.

The video's a bit weird, but still pretty cool.




Comments