Hooray For Earth - True Loves - True Loves

This song is the title track for the band Hooray For Earth's debut album. The band are from New York, and appear to be favouring the heavy electronic sound that a lot of bands seem to be moving towards. The first I heard of this band was through the song "No Love" after I heard it on the radio. It's a bit weird, and quite unlike anything I was listening at the time (about a year ago), but I really like it. Click here for the youtube link and here for the Spotify link.

So the other day I was thinking it had been a while since I first heard that song, and skimmed through the rest of the album. I have to say, I actually only liked two songs, the two I have already mentioned. But don't let that put you off. These two are real crackers. Both of these songs have something in common; they both have this really heavy, mechanical sound to them. If that sounds a bit confusing, listen to the songs and you'll know what I mean.
This song starts off with just drums, but it's quite a heavy sound (I promise I'll stop saying heavy now), not like normal drums. Pretty awesome really, quite atmospheric. Over the top of this are layers of different sound, so vocals come in with Ahhs in unison, and it's just these two for a while. At this point I was wondering where this was going as it was a bit weird. There's a few more weird electronic noises, then it all kind of stops for a minute.

Courtesy of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bensisto/189232370/in/photostream/


Then loads of stuff happens at once. More layers are put over the top of the awesome drums, most prominently a synthy-y bassline. This syncopated rhythm kicks in the background and gives us the basis for the musical side of the song, but I can't quite work out what instrument it is, it's probs some more synth stuff; sounds quite chime-y. The Ahhs have some harmonies put over them, and suddenly make sense to me where they didn't before. I am hooked! This is not what I was expecting at all, and I really like it.

The lyrics are kind of nonsensical, but I like them:

"Quiet heart it's a quiet heart it's a quiet heart
It's a quiet heart when you go alone,
Hollow chest it's a hollow chest on a solemn quest
To bring a guest into your arms

Under a world of sound, hold her and hold her
Under a world of sound, don't have to know
Under a world of sound, hold her and hold her
Under a world of sound, I don't have to know

I'll make a choice and turn my head I turn my head I turn it inside out
I think you might be better off in the light when you turn your head to the side
Why do you cry?

It's a heart it's a quiet heart it's a quiet heart a quiet heart

Under a world of sound, hold her and hold her
Under a world of sound, don't have to know
Under a world of sound, hold her and hold her
Under a world of sound"

The bassline continues into the verse with the drums and some vocals over the top, courtesy of Noel Heroux. The syncopated... sound, for want of a better phrase, comes back in after a couple of bars. The chorus brings all the layers back in, it's amazing. The song actually becomes a little bit weighty in your ears, sounds weird, but it's cool.

After the chorus, there's this kind of breakdown bit, and everything is REALLY synth-y and electronic. The vocals kind of float over it, as though they're not really part of it, just drifting through the song. Kind of like The XX. The chorus kicks back in with all the layers present, and more harmonies on the Ahhs in the background.

To be honest, there's not that much in the way of different verses and stuff, but it somehow all fits together and sounds good.

Youtube:


Spotify:



Comments