Sia, The Weeknd & Diplo - Elastic Heart (The Hunger Games Soundtrack)

I was a bit late to the Hunger Games thing. I only watched the first one this last summer, and I haven't even read any of the books yet. I will though. Don't you worry.

The much-anticipated second film of The Hunger Games trilogy, "Catching Fire", is due to appear in cinemas next month. The soundtrack seems to be slowly appearing on the internet and radio, with Coldplay epic "Atlas" being released online about a month ago. Christina Aguilera has also contributed something (which I'm not a huge fan of).

Courtesy of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/laubarnes/4180812856/



Coldplay - "Atlas"



"Elastic Heart" starts off by giving me the distinct that this track was ripped straight off "Shock Value II" by Timbaland, with it's heavy bass and underlying vocal rhythms.

Sia continues to amaze and inspire me. Her vocals are beautiful, and she has the power to convey such emotion with her performances. Not just live performances, but when recording you can just absolutely feel the emotion coming out of her. It's definitely not just her heart that's elastic, but her vocals too... Ha ha... *ahem*.

"And another one bites the dust
But why can I not conquer love?
And I might’ve got to be with one
I learned to fight this war without weapons

And I want it and I want it, it burns
But there was so many red flags
Now another one bites the dust
And let’s be clear, I trust no-one"

Quite brutally honest lyrics really. She goes on to the bridge:

"You did not break me
I’m still fighting for peace"

Let's be honest, at the end of most relationships, the people involved are always wanting to win against the other person, to not let them see how devastated they really are etc:

"Well, I’ve got a thick skin and an elastic heart
But your blade it might be too sharp
I’m like a rubber band, until you pull too hard
But I may snap and I move close

But you won’t see me move no more
‘Cause I’ve got an elastic heart"

It's a really fitting metaphor for what she's talking about, and she explains it pretty clearly here, I'd say. 

The rhythm of this song is what I think gets me the most, especially the vocal rhythm of the chorus. It fits in well with the rhythm of the percussionIt's just so good!

The Weeknd brings the song an RnB edge that it was kind of missing before.

Courtesy of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yourekillingmesmalls/7383757614/

"And now I stay up through the night
Let’s be clear, won’t close my eyes
And I know that I can’t survive
I walked too far to save my life

And I want it, I want my life so bad
I’m doing everything I can
Then another one bites the dust
It’s hard to lose a chosen one"

Their voices complement each really well, especially in the bridge: "You did not break me/I’m still fighting for peace".

You can definitely hear Diplo (he of Major Lazer) in the production, with the slightly trap-ish bassline and percussion. 

Courtesy of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/caesarsebastian/1423683283/
There's then a middle 8 in which The Weeknd and Sia's voices are basically overlapping, there's no lyrics or anything. Just a lovely sound!

The last two choruses are so full, really rich in texture. GREAT TRACK.

Youtube:



Soundcloud:
   
Spotify:

Comments