BANKS - Change - London EP [SBTV Performance]

OK a quick apology for not posting in about 3 months, and on we go.

The first song by BANKS I ever heard was "Work" with Lil Silva. It's SUCH a good song. In fact, click here to listen and see how good it is. Please. You'll be doing yourself a big ole favour. [Courtesy of James Chapman.]

BANKS has been a comparatively slow riser to fame. Over the course of 2013, she got herself out there. It's been a relatively slow process compared to some people who seem to become "it" overnight, but her first single release, a Zane Lowe radio play and being a support act for The Weeknd hasn't done her any harm. In fact, she's listed on the BBC's Sound of 2014 poll... That's pretty damn good, I'd say.

[Update 8/1/14: It's been announced today that she came 3rd... YES BANKS!!!]



Courtesy of: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=599685910069092&set=pb.454463311258020.-2207520000.1389135831.&type=3&theater

This particular performance is totally different to "Work". It's incredibly emotional, very intense and you're totally drawn in. This is the thing about doing stuff live instead of a recording studio, you get the emotions of the song much more strongly. It also shows how versatile her voice can be.

She's singing of a relationship where it's pretty emotionally abusive. e's horrible to her, then she tries to leave him, but he promises he'll change if only she'll stay with him... Will he ever change? No he most certainly will not. Will the emotional abuse continue? Yes it almost definitely will.

Here are the lyrics:

"Always cold 
While you'd self-incriminate 
By avoiding all my questions 
And calling me an instigator 

Cut me down 
Always calling me unstable 
You so easily can make me cry 
Just cause you are in a mood 
And you'd say"

She's got a really beautiful and unique voice. The vibrato (wobbly bit) in her voice is perfectly controlled, something not many people can actually do well. A lot of people would also struggle just to sing without words, as she effortlessly does: 

"Call me out 
You would say I need attention 
Just because I put on make-up 
To ironically look good for you"

[What a good line!] 

"Cut me to pieces 
While you watched me disintegrate 
Because you like to tell me how you hate 
All the ways I'm not enough for you 
Then you'd say" 

[Chorus] 
Baby don't go 
I didn't know 
I'll change I swear, I'll change I swear 

Baby don't go 
I'll make you wait 
I promise I'll be better 
All of these things they will..."

She's quite hypnotic to watch as well whilst she's singing.

"Never guilty 
Say it ain't your fault 
Because you had an emotionally abusive daddy 
And cause of this you don't know how to act 

Poor poor baby 
Say you can't help the fact that you're so crazy 
And you're so good at making me feel guilty 
For trying to walk away 
'Cause I'm tired of being mad 
Then you'd say
[Chorus]x2"

The vocals get stronger with the second chorus and more powerful by slowly getting louder. Then she sings without words again, which is really intense and I find it quite impressive as well.

Please let me know what you think of this one by commenting at the bottom! 

Youtube:


If you like this, check out "Warm Water", another of hers that I like and produced by Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs:


Remember Seasfire that I wrote about a while ago? They did a cover of this, and it's SMASHING:


Comments