George Ezra - Budapest - Did You Hear The Rain? EP

I never know what to do when I'm having my hair cut at the hairdressers and they start massaging my head. If you close your eyes then it looks like you're enjoying it too much. But if you keep your eyes open then it looks like you're hating it. AND you might accidentally make uncomfortable eye contact with the hairdresser. NOBODY wants that.

Luckily for me yesterday, they had a little screen over the tap things so that you actually have something to look at, thus avoiding this awful dilemma. It plays through various music videos and occasional fashion clips. After a remix of Elton John (which was hilarious), came George Ezra.

It was such a lovely song, and it's been stuck in my head since yesterday at around 3pm.



Courtesy of the George Ezra Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/georgeezramusic/photos/a.334867766578479.11968514.334867149911874/521947177870536/?type=1&theater
The song starts off with this guitar riff that continues throughout, which KIND of has an American Country feel to it. The emphasis in the bars is on beats 1&4, giving it a feeling of going somewhere, like a driving sound. The guitar has a beautiful sound as well - I am reliably informed that it is a Gretsch hollow body electric guitar. So there you go.

The lyrics are as such:

"My house in Budapest
My hidden treasure chest,
Golden grand piano
My beautiful Castillo

For you
You
I’d leave it all"


George has got a surprisingly rich, deep voice for a 20-year-old. It's a lovely sound, and he's got a great range and all. How sweet are these lyrics as well?! What I would do for a golden grand piano. If one even exists. The guitar riff in the background also adds to the driving sound, like it's building up layers to the song:

"My acres of a land
I have achieved
It may be hard for you to,
Stop and believe

But for you
You
I’d leave it all"

I'm not really one for slushy romantic stuff, so find this slightly hard to believe. But it sounds nice anyway. Go on, George:

Chorus
"Give me one good reason
Why I should never make a change
And baby if you hold me
Then all of this will go away"

His tone is utterly beautiful in the chorus, and it's got a really addictive melody, great to hum along to. I think, anyway: 

"My many artefacts
The list goes on
If you just say the words
I’ll up and run

Oh, to you
You
I’d leave it all

Chorus"

We're then given a little middle 8, an instrumental to break things up. And then it gets deep:

"My friends and family
They don’t understand
They fear they’d lose so much
If you took my hand

But, for you
You,
I’d lose it all"

It's then the chorus twice over ith added "Awoo"s, which builds it up a bit more and adds texture, until we get a repeat of the first chorus:

"My house in Budapest
My hidden treasure chest,
Golden grand piano
My beautiful castillo

You
You
I’d leave it all"
Lovely!

Youtube:



Spotify:


 

Comments