Ben Howard - Only Love - Every Kingdom

I'll kick things off with an absolutely beautiful song. I know it's not exactly new anymore, but I am just in love with him. Although I do have a Spotify account, I couldn't help buying the album in CD form because... I just wanted it really.

Ben Howard has been compared with Ed Sheeran, and whilst I agree that the acoustic guitar style is quite similar, with the complex patterns and the repetition of riffs, I think they are quite different really. Ed Sheeran has sort of become a representative for the youth of today and brings very different musical tastes together, such as grime and indie. His lyrics are very much about everyday battles that people have to face, such as Small Bump, in which he describes the excitement of an unborn baby, only to have the devastation of a miscarriage, echoed in the melancholy undertones throughout the song.


Ben Howard's music, on the other hand, I'm gonna go ahead and say is mainly about love. Some of you may say, well love is definitely an everyday battle that people have to face surely? And I will say... yes that's true. What I'm trying to say is Ed's songs are more about general life, and Ben's are more about love. Hopefully this is making sense? Let's breeze past that awkwardness.

One thing I love about Every Kingdom (the album this song appears on) is that the songs are just so chilled. Play the whole album through and tell me you're not in an absolute state of "chill" afterwards. This song in particular should leave you in such a state.

Courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/thequeenshall/6899545067/in/photostream/?reg=1&src=comment

The lyrics hardly differ throughout the song, with the one chorus and on verse being repeated:

"Darling you're with me, always around me
Only love, my only love
Darling I feel you under my body
Only love, my only love
Give me shelter, show me heart
Only love, my only love
And watch me fall apart, watch me fall apart

And I'll be yours to keep

Wind in the shadows, whale song in the deep

Darling I feel you under my body

Darling you're with me forever and always"


So beautiful. And simple. But he still conveys the type of love that means two people can rely completely on one another.

I first became aware of Ben Howard when my very good friend James Chapman showed me the song The Wolves, an EPIC song.

All in all, I love it! Let me know what you think! :)



Comments