Seasfire - We Will Wake - We Will Wake EP

Have you ever done that thing where you fall in love with a song so you play it over and over again, but then you get tired of it and end up hating yourself because you ruined it? I do, but I keep on almost doing that with this band! Fortunately, I'll catch myself JUST before it gets to 100 plays and realise, hang on, you're doing that thing again. I've only just learned the self-control to be able to do this.

Courtesy of: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=343241105779919&set=a.100175613419804.56.100175343419831&type=1&theater


So anyway, it started off with "Falling". It's such a beautiful song. You need to be in the right frame of mind for it though, like if you're in the mood for jumping around or being excited then definitely do not listen to this song at that moment. This song is for being mellow and (yeah, you guessed it) chilled out. If you're feeling either of those things or any other synonyms, do give this song a listen. My obsession with "Falling" began around March of this year, and I still love it!

"Falling" on Youtube:


Personally, I feel that they've got a kind of totally new sound. It'd be difficult to say "if you like these bands then you'll like this one", simply because it's quite different to most stuff at the moment. But probably quite similar to James Blake.
Anyway, on to the actual song. It starts off with this weird and slightly sinister electronic stuff, and I'm thinking ARFGH noo! They had a perfect balance between electronica and instruments before... But I needn't have worried. I think one of the things I love most about this Bristolian band is their ability to incorporate piano into songs with synth in. As a pianist, I am always fascinated by bands who can achieve this. And, as the case often is, those who cannot. But yeah, Seasfire effortlessly manage to make it sound as though it's meant to be there, of course.

Singer Josh Thornis' vocals are almost ethereal; hauntingly beautiful and sound so perfect with the grace of the piano in this song. There's a major key change (could be to relative major, but A Level music was a  long time ago!) that kind of picks up the pace a little bit, but not too much. There's something about the guitars of the chorus that is somehow familiar, but I can't work out here it's from... I'll keep you updated if it comes to me.

I always love the lyrics to their songs. Here's the chorus:

"We can dream this nightmare over
We can dream this nightmare away
But it won't be long 'til shadows come
The dawn will break
We can dream this heartbreak over
We can dream it's just a mistake
I will give it all for you to stay
Until we wake."

[That's just from my own listenings,, if you reckon I've got it wrong, please let me know so I can correct it.]

They're just lovely. Somehow simple and also really clever at the same time. There's an almost acapella bit after this; it's really great and the harmonies are lovely, completely on point and just perfect. It strikes me again at this point how synths and piano can sound so good together.

The middle 8/breakdown/whatever you wanna call it has some really heavy bass which gives the song yet another layer. It's then the chorus once again and then through the end. I can't stop listening to this song, something I really do find the case with Seasfire like I mentioned before. I'm intrigued as to what other people think, let me know.

Enjoy :)

Youtube:


Spotify:


I think they're also trying to get numbers up on this site, so if you've got a minute, maybe give that one a go as well. Thanks :)

Full lyrics, for Dom. These could be wrong, but it's the general gist:

Seasfire – We Will Wake Lyrics

Verse 1
I don’t mean to make things hard
But I falter everytime I see you
The way you’re trapped alone in the dark
Held back by nothing more than fear

Bridge
I can see anxiety in your eyes
I can hear panic in your voice
I can’t always be frozen to this point, caught in the wasteland

Chorus
We can dream this nightmare over
We can dream this nightmare away
But it won’t be long ‘til shadows come
The dawn will break

We can dream this heartache over
We can dream it’s just a mistake
I will give it all for you to stay
Until we wake

Verse 2
I don’t mean to sound unkind
But not everything can go your way
With shattered notes and daggered shouts,
On the floor, your dreams in pieces
Most people learn to walk on by

Bridge
I can see anxiety in your eyes
I can hear panic in your voice
I can’t always be frozen to this point, caught in the wasteland

Chorus
We can dream this nightmare over
We can dream this nightmare away
But it won’t be long ‘til shadows come
The dawn will break

We can dream this heartache over
We can dream it’s just a mistake
I will give it all for you to stay
Until we wake

Middle 8
But when will we wake?
If only we could turn back
Everything we dreamed of
To come, to come try

Chorus
We can dream this nightmare over
We can dream this nightmare away
But it won’t be long ‘til shadows come
The dawn will break

We can dream this heartache over
We can dream it’s just a mistake
I will give it all for you to stay
Until we wake


Comments

  1. I love this band just as like you. I found your page because I was looking at the lyric of "we will wake". But can't find it anywhere except the chorus on your page. Would you have it all or would you know where to find it ? I'm French and not fluent enough... Thanks, Dom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh brilliant, I'm so glad you are a fan too! That is not a problem at all, keep an eye on this blog and I will update it for you with all the lyrics on :) do you have an email address? I can let you know when I've got them done?

      Delete

Post a Comment